Amazing Grace DVD DetailsOctober 17th, 2007 by Paul Martin
Here are the specs of the DVD, releasing on November 13.
Title: Amazing Grace
Street Date: November 13, 2007
Run Time: 111 minutes
Studio: 20th Century Fox
Director: Michael Apted
Cast: Ioan Gruffudd (The Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer), multi-award winner Albert Finney* (Erin Brockovich, A Good Year), Golden Globe nominee** Michael Gambon (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix), Rufus Sewell (The Illusionist), Grammy Award winner Youssou N’Dour and Ciaran Hinds (TV’s “Rome”).
Synopsis: Amazing Grace, from acclaimed director, Michael Apted, tells the inspiring story of how one man’s passion and perseverance changed the world. Based on the true-life story of William Wilberforce (Gruffudd), a leader of the British abolition movement, the film chronicles his epic struggle to pass a law to end the slave trade in the late 18th century. Along the way, Wilberforce meets intense opposition from members of Parliament who feel the slave trade is tied to the stability of the British Empire. Several friends, including Wilberforce’s minister, John Newton (Finney), a reformed slave ship captain who penned the beloved hymn Amazing Grace, urge him to see the cause through.
DVD Special Features:
The Amazing Grace DVD is presented in widescreen format with English Dolby Digital 5.1 plus
English, Spanish and French subtitles. Additional bonus content includes:
– Audio Commentary with Director Michael Apted and Ioan Gruffudd
– “How Sweet the Sound: The Story of Amazing Grace” – this half-hour documentary provides an in-depth look at the making of the film and the story’s relevance to today.
– “Finding Freedom” – A Tour of the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center providing factual information about modern-day slavery practices.
– Interactive Discussion Tools and Study Guides – The discussion guides provide thought- provoking questions that can be printed out for use in classrooms or bible study groups.
– Music video of Grammy Nominee Chris Tomlin’s version of “Amazing Grace.”